Mushing Music

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Mushing Music

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:38 am

Welcome to the forum snobird7777 :D :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 pm

Not a clue. I give up. I don't believe we sang it in Maryland! Who wrote it? 8-)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby JeanieB » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi Snowbird - I'm clueless, too. Was it maybe in the North to Alaska movie? Sounds kind of familiar.
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby snobird7777 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. That's allot of poopy...puppy! I am from AK, born in Anchorage 1960, lived in AK until 2000, raised 2 hairless and did the dirty deed... I left AK for warmer climes in 2000... thus, I brand my butt 'snobird'! LOL, I used to shake my head at Elders who went south in the winter as I said I'll never leave Alaska... my heart never has~ The question about the song "Mush, Mush, down 4th avenue" is real and no, I do not know who wrote it... but as a kid (60's) in the Rondy days, I believe we sang this song.
snobird7777

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:22 pm

We thought it was probably an Alaskan song. Don't remember hearing it in Virginia. But keep checking back, someone will probably remember it for you.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Frozen, maybe?
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Froz may gone for the night, tho it's early AK time
fladogfan

Postby snobird7777 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:17 pm

snobird7777 wrote:BRAIN FREEZE! Who remembers the song "And it's mush mush down fourth avenue, well the Yukon she's afrozen and the koyukuk too"?.. Yes, we all sang it (1960's)! Question is who wrote it?

Wish I could find and post the complete lyrics for this song. The most recent recording I can find is by Robin Hopper:The Alaska Collection FUR RENDEZVOUZ
Words and music by Brian K Jones (1957)
Performers: Robin, Bernard Glansbeek, Frank Solivan

"When I first started teaching elementary school music in Alaska, I found an old, warped '45 record in one of my classroom closets. When I listened to the song, it told of the Fur Rendezvouz, which is a carnival in the middle of February each year. It evolved from the days when the trappers used to come to town (Anchorage) with all their furs to sell. These guys didn't get out much, and after they had sold all their furs, and bought supplies to take back to their cabins in the Bush, they usually stuck around for a few days, to enjoy each other's company, eat lots of good food, and play games. Today's "Rondy" is not for the trappers, but for all of us house-bound, cabin-fever-crazed Alaskans who need something to focus on other than the long, dark winter months. There's nothing quite like Fur Rondy!"

Recorded at two Alaskan studios -
Surreal Studios - Kurt Riemann, engineer and co-producer
Mirror Studios - Charlie Hewitt, engineer and co-producer

Graphic design and photos by Bruce Hopper, husband extraordinaire!
Copyright 2002, Published by Stillwater Productions
All rights reserved.

Please keep in touch! I'd love to hear from you.
Robin Hopper
PO Box 670549
Chugiak, AK 99567
ph/fax (907) 688-2032
email: robin@robinhopper.com

Robin Hopper - Folk music from the Last Frontier
http://www.robinhopper.com
snobird7777

Postby AKmomof4 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:20 pm

My mom used to play that song all the time. The copy she had was by Hobo Jim (even though he was not the original artist). It was definately an Alaskan song. My family has been in Alaska since 1978, and that song was played often in our home :)

"And it's mush! mush! down Fourth Avenue, where the Yukon she's a frozen and the Koyukuk too, from Naknek, Tuntutuliak, Nikolai...., head inbound to the big town for the Fur Rendevous!"
AKmomof4

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:37 pm

love eskils song, beautiful!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk