CHAT/TRIVIA April 2nd-1PMAT,2PT,3MT,4CT,5ET,10UK,11NO

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: CHAT/TRIVIA FEB 22 12AT,1PT,2MT,3CT,4ET,9UK,10NO,10amNZ

Postby Moose » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:35 pm

Wow! Just Wow!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:21 am

Thanks for the chat reminder!!! I had forgotten this is the last Sunday in February.
Those prizes sound great!!
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:47 am

EVERYBODY

Spend the next few hours studying up on dogs of the Iditarod AND Yukon Quest, and general Quest and Iditarod trivia. Those great prizes will have to be earned! ;)
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:48 am

Was a rollicking and intense Trivia tournament Sunday! The prizes for Top Ten Finishers were awesome, and the questions for such great prizes had to be up to the challenge! We think they were. Some were very easy. Some diabolically hard! And some just a little bit tricky!
For those who missed trivia but like to follow along. Here are the ten questions I asked. And who got the correct answer!

1. Susan Butcher won the Iditarod in 1986, 1987, 1988 and 1990. In which years did her lead dog Granite win the Golden Harness? OLDMAN

2. How many times has Hobo Jim won the Yukon Quest Golden Harness award. EMWCEE

3. Hero of the 1925 Serum Run, what dog now enshrined at the Iditarod Museum in Wasilla, ran the longest and most hazardous leg making a round trip of 365 miles? OLDMAN

4. In the YQ, Havana won the Golden Harness in 2002-2003 & 2004 with three different partners. Name the three. EMWCEE

5. May got loose & ran off during 2013 Iditarod, and made a journey of several hundred miles home alone making international headlines and getting her owner Jim Lanier an appearance on Good Morning America. From whose team did May escape? BREEZE

6. In 2012 going down the Gorge, a 9-year old husky named Marshall suddenly dropped down apparently dead. Name the ironic musher who revived him with CPR. LIBBY

7. Who can name the two of the First Mackey’s dogs to win the Golden Harness Award? MIRA

8. Can you name the last lead dog in the Iditarod to win the Golden Harness without winning the race itself? SARSMILE

9. Although he never won the Iditarod, Herbie Nayokpuk, The Shishmaref Cannonball, had two Golden Harness winners. Name them. DIANA

10. Name the only sled dog to lead a team to four Iditarod championships, one Yukon Quest Victory and was also a member of one All-Alaska Sweepstakes championship team. FLOWERPOWER

Questions 1& 2 shook people up and set the tone. #7 did exactly what it was designed to do, throw people for a loop, and the panel received the hint to read the question again carefully! And #10 took a while for our friends to solve! But the best part was that we all had fun! (Have to get Heidi to post her 10 questions!)
Answers below!

ANSWERS
1 Once-1988
2 3 Times 2005-2006-2007
3 TOGO. LEONHARD SEPPALA’S LEAD DOG
4 BONZO MILOS FELIX
5 NEWTON MARSHALL
6 SCOTT JANSSEN - THE MUSHING MORTICIAN
7 PREACHER AND JODY Rick Mackey 1983
8 KULING Lead dog for Jessie Royer who finished 8th in 2009
9 TROOPER 1980 and BLACKIE 1987
10 ANDY-RICK SWENSON’S LEAD DOG
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Heidi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:16 am

Here's my 10 questions from the February 2015 trivia contest. The name in red is who answered the question correctly first. (See the previous post by mgfb for his 10 awesome questions!) Answers below.

1) The origin of the Yukon Quest dates back to 1976 when people began discussing the idea, but it wasn’t until 4 mushers sat down in Bull’s Eye Saloon that it became more than an idea. Name the year this discussion took place and the city. SARSMILE

2) Math question!

Take the total number of dogs into the last checkpoint BEFORE the finish of the 2015 Yukon Quest for the two top finishers of the race (together) and deduct the total number of dogs they both finished the race with (together). What is that number AND how many dogs did EACH of the two top finishers finish with? (List names with # of dogs.) SARSMILE

3) Using LAST names only, list the Top 6 finishers of the 2015 Yukon Quest in order from first through sixth. SARSMILE

4) Who is the first musher outside the state of Alaska to win the Iditarod and what year did he first win it? ELSIETEE

5) What is the federally registered “nickname” (several words) for the Iditarod? PRIVATE STOCK

6) Who is the oldest person to finish the Iditarod and how many times did they COMPLETE the race? EMWCEE

7) Spelling counts for this question only! In the 2015 Iditarod, what is the next checkpoint after Huslia? MIRA

8) In 1986 Susan Butcher broke a time record for the Iditarod set in 1981. Whose record did she beat AND how many times did Susan Butcher go on to break her own record in future Iditarods? OLDMAN

9) In the early years, the Iditarod mushers only traveled on the Northern Route. When the Southern Route was added, what new checkpoints (in no particular order) were added? MIRA

10) What does the Iditarod Trail Committee do in Nome at the Burled Arch on the morning of the restart? FLOWERPOWER
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

ANSWERS
1) 1983 Fairbanks
2) 2. Brent finished with 12 dogs and Allen finished with 11.
3)
Sass
Moore
Hopkins
Tedford
Neff
Casavant
4) Doug Swingley 1995
5) "The Last Great Race" (Don't forget the "The".) ;)
6) Norman Vaughn; 4 times
7) Koyukuk
8) Rick Swenson; 2 times
9) Iditarod, Shageluk, Anvik, Grayling, Eagle Island
10) Lights the Widow’s Lamp (It's not the same thing as the Red Lantern!)
Last edited by Heidi on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:41 pm

And the winner of the February 2015 Trivia Contest is...

SARSMILE!

:D :D :D Woohoo!!! Way to go Sars!!! :D :D :D

PLACEMENTS AFTER 20 QUESTIONS
1st with 4 points: Sarsmile
2nd with 3 points each (tie): Emwcee, Mira, Oldman (Mira, who lives in Norway, had to go bed, so only Emwcee and Oldman competed in the 2nd Place tie-breaker question, which was won by Oldman. We needed a prize picking order, so that's why we did this.)
5th with 2 points: Flowerpower
6th with one point each (tie): Breeze, Di, Elsietee, Libby, Private Stock (We had prizes for the TOP TEN, so we had the 6th Placers choose numbers between 1 & 100 in order to come up with a prize picking order. So then the order became Private Stock, Libby, Di, Breeze and Elsietee.)

I'm pretty sure a lof of fun was had by all. We all were a bit wiped at the end and nursing sore fingers, but we pulled through! :D Those 1000-mile mushers have nothing on us!!! ;) :lol: A few of the Iditabuds couldn't stay for the entire chat & trivia, but that's okay, at least they dropped by to say hi. :) Moose was very busy removing the snow from her roof, but she still stopped in a few times. Sugarriver was busy playing with grandchildren. As fladogfan said, "Imagine that, grandkids over us Iditabud nuts!" :lol: Gatekeeper was running dogs but still dropped in. Words were flying fast and furiously, so I might've missed some posts (or maybe I just forgot) but I think between fladogfan and I we have the names of all who were participated in some form or fashion at some point yesterday. If I missed your name, let me know!

We had 24 Iditabuds drop by yesterday!!!
Breeze
Chenahusky
Coaster
Di
Elsietee
Emwcee
Eskil
Fladogfan
Flowerpower
Gatekeeper
Go-Aliy-Go (aka Libby)
Heidi
Jan
Jeanieb
Mgfb
Mira
Moose
Oldman
Private Stock
Runaway Sibe
Sarsmile
Sc-race-fan
Silw5000
Sugarriver

It was so good to see y'all. Of course I saw a lot of you online during the Yukon Quest; hope to see even more during the Iditarod. Hopefully my life will allow me to particpate more then as well! Oh, just want to apologize for the math question (no, not really! ;)) We were trying to make it less of a "Who can type the fastest or who has the fastest connection" type of contest. Sure, some were easy questions, but hopefully there were enough questions that made y'all stop and think! :?

If you want to host a future trivia contest be sure to ask the mods. There are plenty of leftover prizes (including a TON of Iditarod posters) that are looking for homes! :D

Thank you MGFB for hosting the triva with me; I had a blast! Thank you to our scorekeepers, Breeze, Elsietee and Fladogfan, couldn't have done it as easily without you! Thanks to our prize donors and prize shippers. And thanks to ALL OF YOU for showing up! (I think I watched too much of the Oscars last night; this sounds like an acceptance speech!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Heidi on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi

Postby Breeze » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:42 pm

There were 3 scorekeepers, and yes, it did need multiple " keepers" because it was fast, furious and sometimes TORRENTIAL in the rate of responses.

The " winning " response in each question was the FIRST correct response as time-logged to the questioner's computer, so imagine the cascade of responses all within seconds...... all of our Iditabuds are smart, capable and competitive. Lots of people had right answers and the speed of response was truly amazing.

Fun time had by all.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:53 pm

Breeze was the other scorer. It goes too fast for only one, but sure is fun.

OK, now who would like to 'host' the next trivia? You could do as Heidi and Brian did and share the questions or go it alone.

PM any of the mods to volunteer or ask questions about trivia.

Big THANKS once again to Heidi and MelanieGouldFanBrian
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Sorry Breeze, I had a brain freeze moment! :oops: I knew there was a third person!! :D
Heidi

Re: CHAT/TRIVIA March 29- 12AT,1PT,2MT,3CT,4ET,9UK,10NO,10am

Postby libby the lab » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:04 am

I got my cool wooden Iditarod Historic Trail plaque today :)
THANK YOU!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk