Mira??? Femundlopet Rescue ??

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Mira??? Femundlopet Rescue ??

Postby txbennett » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:05 pm

Mira ???

Melinda Shore

I had to use Google translate to understand this, but it looks like there's a rescue situation involving junior mushers in the Femundløpet.
txbennett

Re: Mira??? Femundlopet Rescue ??

Postby mira » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Correct, they are evacuating four mushers in the junior class, age -17 (I think). All of them have gps so their location is known. They are also looking for three mushers in F600.

Further, the F400 is temporarily stopped, partly because of the situation of the juniors and because of the weather, for at least four hours. The mushers were not allowed to keep the dogs outside but they had too put them in their trucks,vets order.

The frontrunners of F600 have stopped at some cabins together with the trailbreakers. Too much weather,too much snow. Robert Sørlie and Ralph Johannessen are the two in front, they'll manage. They have also shortened the trail with 25km, cutting some high alpine part of the trail.

It's a busy weekend for me, so I'm not very up to date on the situation,unfortunately.

Norway has, in general, bad weather this weekend. Northern parts is really bad, they evacuated some people on an island because of big waves. Where I live, it's been a beautiful, sunny day, with strong wind for this area. My almost four years old daughter was more or less blown away when we were trying our cross-country ski. She fell over a couple of times due to the wind.
mira

Postby fladogfan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Thanks mira for the information. Good to know there are folks watching out for them.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:22 pm

I was awake so I had to check. Femundsløpet reports that the three adults are located and they are fine.

One of the juniors are also found okay, still searching for the three others. Two of them should be together.
mira

Postby mira » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 pm

Femundsløpet is cancelled due to (extreme) bad weather.

They are still trying to get different mushers out in addition, there is one person breaking trail who had to lay down they also need to locate and get out.
mira

Postby libby the lab » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Wow prayers for all. Keep us posted Mira
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby mira » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:40 am

Good news, all appears to be accounted for. The snowmobiler got in touch this morning, making his way to some houses or cabins. The juniors have recently been found, one by one, all in good shape.

The three adults mushers in f600 are also found, cold but healthy. They will be brought to some cabins waiting for weather and equipments to get them out.

Because of all this the police and sar-people requested for the race to be cancelled.

The storm was predicted.. I guess there will be some discussions to come.
mira

Postby fladogfan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:07 am

Thank God all are accounted for and in safe places.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 am

Good news! From a scary situation. Will they reschedule the race???
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Breeze » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks, Mira. for keeping us up to date on this situation.

I'm feeling a bit sad for those who worked so hard for the race, but also glad that any more serious rescue situations have been avoided.

breeze
Breeze

Next

Return to Mushing Talk