Meeting Kyf Brewer

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Meeting Kyf Brewer

Postby emwcee » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:09 am

What's right up there with meeting a musher? Meeting a musician who sings about mushing. Many of you are familiar with the music of Kyf Brewer, who wrote and sang "The Husky's Code" and "Pretty Sled Dogs" for a mushing video made by Donna Quante about Karen Ramstead. He put those two songs on his album "Songs for Mushers (and Standard Folk)," which is one of my favorite albums ever. Well, when I heard that his Celtic Rock Band, Barleyjuice, was going to be at the Greeley Irish Fest less than three hours from my home, I decided to go. Then I went out on a limb and I sent Kyf a message on FB asking him if he would sing some mushing songs at his gig. He answered that he couldn't do that, since it was an Irish festival, but he would be happy to give me a little private concert. Heck, yeah! I held him to that promise. In between sets, I got to go up to the band room (a few of my friends tagged along). I had my autoharp there, so I actually got to play and sing with him. How awesome is that! Mushing and music - two of my favorite things - together! :D :D

I was so nervous and starstruck that I could barely strum a few chords. We sang "Husky's Code" and "Pretty Sled Dogs" together. It was incredibly fun to jam with him. We had that musician bonding thing going on. Then I asked him to sing "Dogs, Dogs, Dogs" which he sang on the "All Alaska Sweepstakes" video. "You didn't tell me about that one so I didn't practice it," he complained, but he found the words and picked it up again right away. What an excellent musician.

I played a little autoharp for him, and he even tried to play it himself (even though he's left handed). Then he gave me a souvenir pick that said Barleyjuice. I was so nervous (and I usually play with fingerpicks not guitar picks) that I ended up dropping it into my autoharp. I actually kind of like that rattle in my autoharp. It reminds me of that happy time - and I think it will give me good luck and help me play better.

Kyf is a great guy - a real class act. He has that "rock star charisma" and yet that way of giving you his full attention and making you feel special. He gave me a big hug goodbye. I think I'm still floating from the whole experience.

Here are a few pics:

This is a video I posted on YouTube. It's short, but it really gives a good sense of what the jam was like. It's a little longer than the one I posted on Facebook. I added a little bit of the end. This video is public, so feel free to share it:

And if you're really interested, here is a longer compilation. The audio isn't as good on this one - and you can hear some singing by the person taking the video, which is a bit distracting - but you can hear a bit of each of the songs he sang. (This video is unlisted, since it's not ready for prime time, so please don't share. It's just for the die-hard fans):

emwcee

Re: Meeting Kyf Brewer

Postby fladogfan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:44 pm

You go girl!!!!
For a non-traveler you will go for certain things. Mushing and music :D
How exciting to meet him and then to get to sing and play along too!!!!!
Very happy for you!
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Re: Meeting Kyf Brewer

Postby emwcee » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Yeah, mushing and music motivate me to travel. This wasn't really traveling, though, since it was a day trip. A very long day trip . . . We got home after 2 am. Pretty good for a 50-something woman.
emwcee

Return to Mushing Talk