jeff king scratch details and some for Hugh too

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

jeff king scratch details and some for Hugh too

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:05 am

thought i'd start a thread to put it all in one place for when we find out info and the story behind what happened

heres some from turning heads kennel

Just got back from dinner at Airport Pizza in Nome. Delicious! Iditarod junkies abounded inside. I looked up from eating pizza to see Ellen, Jeff King's other half and went over to give her a hug. She directed me towards Jeff who was in there too. The first thing Jeff asked was, "how's your boy doing?"

We spoke briefly -- he looked tired -- and I told him that I'd been to Unalakleet to see Travis and gave him an update on our team. "He's on his way to Koyuk. He stopped in Shaktoolik with 13 other mushers for the night. He's had a really tough race since the gorge.

Jeff nods. He's got a smile on that says 'tell me about it.'

I tell him I'm sorry about his race. "You know, it's just a dog race after all," he says smiling. "I'm just glad no one got hurt and my dogs are ok."

"I'm glad you have such a good perspective." I tell him. And really I am. He's got a smile on his face, but it's a worn out smile. He's tremendously exhausted but still so friendly and concerned for his friends and for his fellow mushers who are still out there. I give Jeff a hug and offer to buy him a beer later on. He's an all-around class act. His grace and perspective is refreshing. I hope that as we grow in the sport of mushing, we too can embody these traits.

The tracker is showing Travis in to Koyuk now but the standings haven't updated. I think the run took them all about the same amount of time, it looks like they are all closing in on the checkpoint.

The real question now is which team did that run take the most out of? I'd expect Travis to continue on resting for about 6 hours given our conversations yesterday and his overall assessment of their capabilities at this stage in the game. I'd expect some of the others to rest less given their 12+ rests in Shaktoolik...

Either way, I think that wind storm helped Travis. He does better when he's around people and feels like he's in a race atmosphere. He'll probably push a little harder because of this but he knows what the dogs are capable of and I know he will be careful not to overdue it.

Ok well I'm gearing up...going to go watch Aaron, another great guy, cross under the burled arch in a little while...
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Re: jeff king scratch details

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:06 am

from his wife ellens page on FB:

2:45pm Nome update: A tracked truck (now a very familiar sight for my eyes) and a couple snow machines just left HQ headed to Safety checkpoint to pick up Jeff and the dogs. They will be dropping off much needed supplies at the checkpoint as well (fuel, Heet, human food, etc), perhaps expecting that Safety may turn into a more popular checkpoint this year than in most years due to conditions. They will use snow machines to pull a dog box. I eagerly await what will be my first opportunity to talk with Jeff. For now, the story is unclear. They are fine and that is all that matters. The dogs' meal is ready and I am heading out the door to get Jeff a hamburger to-go, with a can of Pepsi of course. Thanks EVERYONE for your support and understanding in what has been a rollercoaster of emotions these past 24 hours. Let's just get them home.
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:11 am

Ellen Donoghue Jeff and dogs in Nome. All fed, Jeff at burger and then some pizza, and then a smoothie... All look great. Jeff'

Ellen Donoghue cont... Jeff's attitude is classic Jeff. Upbeat, easy going, positive, ready to move on the the next thing! The stories are just beginning to unfold. One of the first ones has to do with some of the amazing people he encountered at and around Safety while in the strongest wind he has ever been in in his life. He keeps referring to these individuals as humanity's best, and there they were when he needed them, even when at times some of them couldn't touch him or the dogs. He seems primed for chronicling this experience. Let's hope he does!
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:12 am

during the storm:

Ellen Donoghue

Yesterday · Edited

In short time we will gain perspective on the events that are unraveling this evening in Nome, though at the moment it feels surreal. I am not sure Jeff or I have worked harder at anything in our lives than preparing for this race, with the support and help of others. But it is just that, a race. What matters most in any sled dog race is welfare of the driver and the dogs. And, on that point Jeff King is, and always will be, a champion! My heart is full of admiration for this man.
tanglefoot

Postby runaway_sibe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 am

Wow, thaks Tangles for the info... I wish Ellen and Jeff can hear my words: you two are an amazings champions!!! No matter what!
"A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog"
runaway_sibe

Postby lower48fan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:02 am

thank you for posting some Jeff after the scratch info, very nice.
lower48fan

Postby klmobile » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks for that update Tangles,
I had to be at work 4am AK time Tuesday morning, so I didn’t even try to see the finish.
So I went to bed thinking Jeff was a done deal and Ally would be 2nd again.
When I woke up Tuesday, the first thing I did was check to see how many people had finished I couldn’t believe what the ADN update said.
Jeff King scratched near Safety…Wow. I continued getting ready and checked the Tracker before I left for work and it showed Dallas about a mile ahead of Ally.
By the time I took care of the task I had to go to work early for the Race was over.
I tried all day to figure out what happened to Jeff.
Glad he and the dogs are alight. I’m sure we will hear more about this in the near future.
What a race!
And thanks to all the BSSD iditabuds who make this the greatest place to follow the race!
Don't Buy Cheap work Boots!!
klmobile

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:15 am

Nicole Faille

13 hours ago · Edited

Just got off the phone with Hugh in White Mountain, he will be there for one more night as the planes aren't flying but i expect him to arrive tomorrow. We would both like to thank Dave Branholm, a snowmachiner who rode out to find Hugh on the ice. He had been blown a mile off trail and was stuck in 50/60 mph winds, and his emergency button was malfunctioned. Dave basically saved his life coming out there to find him and i was fortunate to meet Dave here in Nome today and gave him a teary bear hug.
The dawgs are all doing good, 3 are here with me. Jewel Cohiba and Yukon. The other five are resting in White Mountain with Hugh. Words cannot describe my gratitude to this man for finding Hugh. He and the dawgs are my everything, bless you Dave, you are a guardian angel and Laughing Eyes will always be grateful to you.
tanglefoot

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 am

Whoa. That could have been a disaster of the highest proportions. So glad it's not.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Breeze » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 am

Serious WHOA, for sure, Moose I agree, very glad that disaster was averted.

too close for comfort, even to think about.

breeze
Breeze

Next

Return to Mushing Talk