Mushing Music

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Mushing Music

Postby JeanieB » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:37 am

The first year I went to Alaska, I put together a CD of Alaskan and Iditarod music. Of course everyone knows Hobo Jim, but in searching I have found others. I just LOVE Lacey J. Dalton. There is also some new music, and old standards, that can apply to the adventure that is the Iditarod. Last year, the 'party song' in Nome was "Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night" (Black-Eyed Peas). I will never forget Lance dancing with all the women fans to that! It might be fun to share some here - ideas for downloading a soundtrack for the BSSD Iditabuds.

My first and is "Pretty Sled Dogs" by Kyf Brewer, on the Mushers CD, but I love the whole CD. You will hear a lot of it on Donna Quante's productions. (She must be in love with him ;) )
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Re: Mushing Music

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:28 pm

theres kyf brewer, hobo jim of course but years ago i found two songs that always stick in my head, 'north to alaska' and 'when its spring time in alaska its 40 below' old songs cant remember who sung them but they always make me sing along. i used to have them on a cd i used to play when i was off training to put us all in the right mood. dont know what happened to it now..... but i did play some funky music to the dogs through my iphone speakers they other day on our usual tune up trail we use and the dogs were rocking along in step with it, seems they like a bit of G love and special sauce!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby ralphm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Both of the songs you mentioned Tangles, are by Johnny Horton. See links below.

When its Spring time in Alaska it's 40 below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVK-Plfv ... re=related
North to Alaska
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSt0NEES ... re=related

There are also all the Robert W Service poems. They don't need music:) "Cremation of Sam McGee" has been a favorite since high school or was it grade seven?
ralphm

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:56 pm

Very nice slide shows with both of those songs. Cool ralphm!
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby sugarriver » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 pm

I bumped Eskil's song up into the Poems, Songs, Parodies, . . . thread. One of the best Irod songs ever. Maybe I should have bumped it into THIS thread? :?
How do you tell the difference between a plumber and a chemist? Ask them to pronounce unionized. -
sugarriver

Postby Gatekeeper » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:35 pm

JeanieB, that CD is so wonderful, I listen to it all the time.

"Get up Dogs" by Buddy Tabor. Love it!

GK
Gatekeeper

Postby Moose » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:41 pm

About the only Alaska-themed music that gets play on local radio here is Michelle Shocked's "Anchorage". I do love it.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby JeanieB » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Sugar, Wouldn't it be wonderful if we had some 'musicians' in our Iditabud list who COULD sing some of the poems/songs/parodies the Iditabuds have written and video it? Don't i remember one of our Norway friends plays the guitar and sings????with his sister maybe?????
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby eorogers » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:17 pm

You have to remember Mike Campbell's Iditarod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnH5CFf6El8

Eric
eorogers

Postby JeanieB » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:22 pm

You know, Eric, I have NOT seen that one before! Very funny! Thanks.
JeanieB

Next

Return to Mushing Talk