ETA for Iditarod Winner

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

ETA for Iditarod Winner

Postby emwcee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:17 pm

This may seem like a strange question - but does anyone have an idea when the winner will make it to Nome? I usually plan on a Tuesday evening into Wednesday morning finish - but with the Fairbanks start and the Monday date for a restart - plus that extra little jog - who knows? The Tuesday that would normally be the finish is St. Patrick's Day, and some friends have invited us over. Of course, maybe they could share in the experience. . .
emwcee

Re: ETA for Iditarod Winner

Postby mira » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:27 pm

That's a hard question.

I would just say add 20 hours to the finish time from the last years. No one can predict the weather yet so we don't know how much impact weather will have.

The first part has lot less ascent/descent than the normal route. The Fairbank route is 4 miles longer than the northern route and 19 miles shorter than southern route (this numbers are very approximately).

So.. if the conditions are reasonable and no storms are ruining the plans I would say it probably will be one of the fastest times. In 2003 Robert Sørlie used 9 days and 15 hours, Martin Buser was faster in 2002, Mitch Seavey 3 hours faster in 2004. Though, I seems to remember that they were hit by a storm in 2003 (but hey.. is there any years they are not hit by a storm?)

Don't know if this was much of a help..
mira

Re: ETA for Iditarod Winner

Postby fladogfan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:21 pm

Sure mira :lol: guess and be lucky ;)
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Return to Mushing Talk