Filming of the Iditarod-Could Drones Be Used

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Filming of the Iditarod-Could Drones Be Used

Postby fladogfan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:31 am

I remember the year the race had a lot of film done from airplanes. The videos showed how it was on the trail for the teams, how hard, how beautiful. And, most importantly, showed the dogs in action. But it is very costly.

Is anyone else wondering, how much does a drone cost, how far away from a checkpoint can they be flown, and why couldn't they be used to capture film of the dogs out on the trail? I'm sure there is someone out there who knows the answers. ;)
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Re: Filming of the Iditarod-Could Drones Be Used

Postby dashdel » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Check it out! http://www.thepocketdrone.com/

I bought a DJI phantom.... The only down size is battery life and I bet cold in AK would work on battery as well........ But they are a hoot.. I love my drone.........
dashdel

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:49 pm

drones now are pretty cheap! the gopro drone is a few hundred bucks and a lot of pro photog guys are suing them now. we used one the other week following us surfing for an ad for merc.benz. pretty cool kit!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby txbennett » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:47 am

Provide Sebastian a drone and a GoPro and watch for the results he will get for us -- a relatively inexpensive enhancement for ITC to provide to the Insider coverage!
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:13 pm

txbennett wrote:Provide Sebastian a drone and a GoPro and watch for the results he will get for us -- a relatively inexpensive enhancement for ITC to provide to the Insider coverage!

YESYESYES
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby dashdel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:43 pm

go pros staRT at 200 thru 400... really cool cams..... plus the drone really puts a different perspective on what you want to see.. (maybe).. plus you have to dodge the feds...... they can see you when you are up high.......... 400 hundred ft is the limit but usually you are flying under that anyways...... really fun.......
dashdel

Postby jplife » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:19 pm

We have friend here,just bought one.$3000.00
He has to get some aprroval from the Canadian avation to use it in areas.But it does look cool.
jplife

Return to Mushing Talk