ASK THE MUSHER Vol 4: Bjørnar, Kjetil and Robert

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL.4 Bjørnar Andersen and Kjetil Backen

Postby Johncn » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:35 pm

Hello,

Just to offer BSSD's heartfelt thanks for many interviews the kids have done the last few years with them:

Thanks, Team Norway, from Bering Strait School District students and teachers! You guys are always happy to help out, always positive, and great competitors.

Regards,

JTC
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:05 pm

Right, thanks for great questions. Alphashe has copied them and will get back to us when she returns from her trip.

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon May 05, 2008 12:32 am

Right!
Alphashe has had a wonderful weekend with Bjørnar and Kjetil (and has also had a word or two with Robert). Here are the answers to your questions :D

Enjoy!

Eskil
SuldalsXpressen

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon May 05, 2008 12:33 am

Di* wrote:First few I can think of Eskil....

Can we look forward to watching the "three amigoes" continue to participate in the Iditarod for many more years to come? Future Plans for Team Norway?

Any new additions possible if Robert (or one of the other 3)retires?(Sigrid? ;) :lol: )

Will the tree amigos continue to participate in Iditarod for many more years?
Robert: If sponsors will show up, and we still have enough dogs of needed standard - it may happen.
Bjørnar: We'll see after finishing Iditarod 2009
Kjetil: Nobody knows for sure.....but Ingrid and the kids have made up their minds; They will be back!

Future plans for Team Norway:
Kjetil, Bjørnar & Robert: The agreement with the mainsponsors ends in 2009. What happens the next years we do not know for sure by now.
SuldalsXpressen

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon May 05, 2008 12:34 am

flowerpower wrote:What is the hardest part about bringing the team overseas?

What is the biggest difference between the Iditarod and the Norwegian distance races?

Do dogs suffer from "jet-lag"? How do they handle such a long flight?

Hardest part by bringing the team over?
Bjørnar: To arrange the flight, all the paperwork, fooddrops and everything that is needed in Alaska.
Kjetil: The physical training of the dogs, preparing them for the long run.

The biggest difference between Iditarod and norwegian distance races?
Bjørnar: The trail is better prepared, harder competition, more mushers are able to win the race, bigger business, bigger show.
Kjetil: The race distance!

Do the dogs suffer from jetlag?:
Bjørnar: Not that I know of, they seem fine.
Kjetil: Nope.

How do they handle the flight:
Bjørnar: Much better than the cartrip from South of Norway to Alta ( Finnmarksløpet) appr. 1250 miles)
SuldalsXpressen

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon May 05, 2008 12:35 am

MotorWerk wrote:I'm wondering if Bjørnar ever thought about moving to Alaska and becoming a professional musher?

Will any of the lads be doing the Yukon Quest soon or would that be too much of a logistical effort?

About Bjørnar thinking of moving to Alaska to become a proffesional musher:
Bjørnar: It has touched my mind some years ago, and I was for some months back in 2001 a handler for Doug Swingley in Montana.
But being a proffesional musher would not be a good idea when planning my pension, and the nature in Norway and Alaska is much the same. And maybe more important: I have learned a lot more from "uncle Sølvrev" than I would have done in Alaska!

Will any of the lads be doing the Yukon Quest?
Bjørnar/Kjetil: We have talked about it, but its not very realistic. Iditarod is "The Race" to join. And to bring a team every year is very demanding in several ways.
SuldalsXpressen

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon May 05, 2008 12:38 am

dilli wrote:Lots of questions, Dilli. I've cut down on the quote... :D :D

Did your family enjoy their Alaskan experiences?
Kjetil: ( here he passes on the question to his wife Ingrid) Ingrid: Definitely! Alaska was fantastic. The atmosphere was just great. Our main focus sure was the race and to welcome Kjetil under the Burled Arch, but we also had some great culturel experiences among the Alaska-citizens.

What where your familys most favorite Alaska experience?
Kjetil: = Ingrid: The scooter trip to checkpoint Safety was very special but of course seeing Kjetil crosses the Burled Arch was amazing.

Which of your personal kennel dogs in your Iditarod 08 team were you most pleased with and why?
Kjetil: I find it difficult to point out just one dog, because the hole team did a great job, but if you push me I say Lady.She is a young and unexperienced leader, but she was very responsible during the race.

What was your most interesting or amusing experience during the 2008 race?
Kjetil: To have Ingrid and the kids at the finish line!

The field of competition in the Iditarod has increased in quality for many reasons, including Team Norways competitive influence. Are you changing previous training procedures and strategy beacuse of the improved field? Can you share any changes in race strategy and training you have initiated without giving away "secrets"?
Bjørnar: We will keep up the good work and focus on the hole team getting even better and more equal, as a unit. The team Kjetil handled over this year needs a bit more experience to end up as winners.

Kjetil: Nope, no changes. Just give the leaders more experience.

How do y keep a healthy balance between caring for your kennel critters, training, competition,your job and your family?
Bjørnar: Thats a tough one..! A lot of planning is needed, you have to be organized and a bit stubborn. Especially during the periods when I feel I run my head against the wall. I'm luckily living with a very positive Lill. She is very helpful and takes care of a lot of kennel duties. I come home from work and she very often has the team ready for training.

Will Lill and Marius come to Alaska during Iditarod 2009?
Bjørnar: We hope so!

Uncle Sølvrev keeps beating you in the Norwegian races. How frustrating is that?
Bjørnar: A bit. He is, though, the most experienced norwegian musher so far and experience is very important to become a successful musher. But...now is the time for a change!

Do you make silly wagers with each other in races?
Bjørnar: We joke a lot up trail about anything ....

Did you enjoy the Amundsen race?
Bjørnar: Amundsen was a great race, I will do it again. The race was very well organized, the crew were mostly mushers themselves and the mushers were very well taken care of before start and at the checkpoints.
Robert: Of course,- after all I won the race....! c",)
It was a great race, well organized and to be a "rookie-race" it was amazing.

Can you describe the Amundsens unique challenges compared to Femund?
Bjørnar: Because of the wellprepared trail in Amundsen we could keep a higher speed compared to Femundløpet. I really enjoyed that!
Robert: I very much agree with Bjørnar.

Which of your personal canine athletes who ran with Kjetil in Iditarod are showing the most promise to compete in next years Iditarod and why?
Bjørnar: Marius. He was one of the mainleaders in Iditarod and aslo during Amundsen race. This dog has everything needed for being a superhero...I think Marius will replace Masi, my best dog ever. But he still needs a year, or maybe two, before being a Golden harness-dog.

Robert: Kasper is one of my favorites. He completed Iditarod 2008 in an impressing way before reaching the age of three. He really is an up and coming star.

Kjetil: Lady, as mentioned above.

How do you personally prepare for extreme sleep derivation and the mental/physical stress participating in the Iditarod and Finnmarksløpet?
Bjørnar: I've got used to the lack of sleep during ten years competing.
Besides I also have short nights during the preperation. As to the stress I work on staying focused. To put focus on the dogs and caring for them up trail helps me a lot. I go by my schedule and trust myself and what I'm doing. Experience is the key word.

TN has built up an impressive and extensive support system in Norway and Alaska to participate in the Iditarod year after year, involving incredible personal efforts and sacrifices by everyone involved with TN. What do you feel are the positive and negative payoffs of this huge commitment so far? Has it been worth all the hassels?
Bjørnar: Sometimes I ask myself that question, but as long as we keep on doing the Iditarod I guess the answer is yes! Working with the dogs is just great, even though I have to let go other activities. I also think I ve been better at cutting off every now and then.

Kjetil: Working with and preparing the dogs for Iditarod is nice work, but at times its tough. Yet I wish for everybody to experience that kind of long distance race. It's quite unique. The constrasts, the sunrises, the downs, the nature, competing for so many days....yes, I guess its worth it!

You must have tried out tail dragger sleds by now, what do you think about them?
Bjørnar: No, I have not tried that kind of sled. I had a folding seat on my sled during Amundsen, it worked fine to rest my legs for a short time, but I did worry about falling asleep.

Have you experimented with Jeff King/Mitch Seavey type harnesses on your dogs? If so, what did you think?
Bjørnar: I prefer the traditional harnesses, I think I have more power then.

Where can we buy Team Norway T-shirts?
Bjørnar: We work on a new model and you will know from hurdal when its ready for sale.
SuldalsXpressen

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon May 05, 2008 12:39 am

emwcee wrote:What are Team Norway's plans for 2009?

What are the Team Norway plans for 2009:
Bjørnar: I will race some races in Norway, at least Femundløpet before Iditarod:
Robert: If I can put together a strong team after Bjørnar has made his final choice for Iditarod I will go for Finnmarksløpet 1000 km.
Kjetil: I will assist Bjørnar in training the Iditarodteam.
SuldalsXpressen

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon May 05, 2008 12:40 am

emwcee wrote:I have another question: Do you share basically the same dog team? If so, are there special considerations with that? For instance, do the dogs bond more with one of you than the other, or do they respond to you all the same? Do each of you have favorite dogs that you work particularly well with?

Do you share basically the same dog team? If so are there special considerations with that? For instance do the dogs bond more with one of you than the other, or do they respond to you all the same? Do each of you have favorite dogs that you work particularly well with?
Bjørnar: Yes, we do share basically the same dog team, I have now 13 of Kjetil Iditaroddogs in my dogyard. All three of us act very much the same as to training, organizing the dogyard and caring for the dogs.We do respect each other a lot and accept that compromises is part of the game. It may happen we do not have the same opinion about a dog, for instance my old Masi did not work as well for Robert as for me. And another veteran, Dixie, is a demanding lady, I have to give her a high priority at checkpoints getting her where I want her to be.

Kjetil: I agree with Bjørnar as to how we arrange everything. And I think that in 7-8 years we have only had two or three dogs that not responded all the same to all three of us.
SuldalsXpressen

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon May 05, 2008 12:41 am

tanglefoot wrote:gret questions all esp dilli and emwcee who beat me to some good ones

ok, heres a few for team norway

how do you fund team norways iditarods each year and how much does it cost?

is it from combined funds and personal funds put into a team account or is it purly sponsors and winnings?

do you guys get to keep your winnings or does it go back into the team norway fund?

how long do you train each year in AK before the race?

How do you fund Team Norways Iditarods each year and how much does it cost?
Bjørnar/Kjetil: Basically by our two mainsponsors, Macrogard and Eukanuba, but also by equipmentsponsors. We have a three years agreement with mainsponsors ending 2009.
In addition each of us has to pay something out of our own pocket
I guess the total cost for joining Iditarod will be appr. 500.000 NOK (100.000 USD)

Do you guys get to keep your winnings or does it go back into the Team Norway fund?
Bjørnar/Kjetil: We keep the winnings ourselves.

How long do you train each year in AK before the race?
Bjørnar/Kjetil: Just a few days, last two years arrival Alaska has been 5-6 days before the showstart.
SuldalsXpressen

PreviousNext

Return to Archive